Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Book Thief- Introduction Thoughts

Right now I am reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I just started it a couple days ago, so I am not yet far into it.  So far, I am confused about who the narrator is.  In several instances, it says things like, "I walked in, loosened his soul, and carried it gently away" (Zusak 10).  This leads me to think that the narrator is not a person, but a soul that takes other souls.  Then, in instances, the narrator says things like, "I'm glad the guards didn't notice me as they walked by" (Zusak 8). In the world that we live in, we can't see souls of the dead.  This means that the guards are able to see the narrator, and he is not a soul.  I really want to read on to discover what the narrator truly is.  What do you think about the form of the main character?

The book takes place in Nazi German, in 1939, as the back cover of the book describes.  I'm not really interested in books about the Holocaust, but since this book has been made into a movie that was just released, I figured I'd give it a shot.  I have heard a lot of really good reviews about the book as well.  For those of you who have read it, or are currently reading it, what do you think?  Is it woth reading on?

Here  is the preview for the upcoming movie about The Book Thief.

6 comments:

  1. Yes!! It's definitely worth it to read on. I read it over the summer and I thought how it was narrated was very unique and the plots twists and gets more complicated as you go through the novel. Overall, I thought it was very intriguing and by the end everything is explained better. The author had an unusual idea about the narrator, but I thought it was cool to see the book from a perspective you typically don't read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great book! it may be confusing but i know i have read some very confusing books that made absoultley no sense but i just kept reading and then i started to understand it and it turned in to a great book! so keep reading an i look forward to what you have read about it later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent read the book but i saw the movie and it was really good! I might try to read the book to compare the two and see which one i like better. If the book is confusing after you finish it go watch the movie it might help you understand better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I remember when I saw the movie trailer I thought it looked good but I never got to see it. I think I'm going to either see the movie or read the book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read this book last year and i think you will really like this book! enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book theif sounds so good! The movie trailer confused me a little bit though... I don't really understand what the plot is based around.

    ReplyDelete