Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Book Thief Storyline So Far and Prediction

I am still currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  Im on page 74, so still not that far into it.  However, I am starting to see the plot line and understand it better.  In my first post about the book, I was really confused as to what was going on.  Now, I understand that Liesel found a book the day that her family died and she was wanting to learn to read it.  The dad that took her in is teaching her how to read, even though he can't read well himself. The part of the story that I am at now, is when the narrator is explaining what Liesel is doing and the struggles that she is facing at school, home, etc.  The story is written in first person. Even though Liesel is the main character, she is not the one narrating.  That is what really confused me because the narrator doesn't (or hasn't yet) actually interacted with anyone yet, so I don't know why that is.  I have been told that the narrator is Death by other people who have read the book, which I think that it is an interesting and unconventional twist to the story.  

I predict that in the next few chapters, Liesel will learn to read better, and will want to start reading other books.  This is what will lead her to steal more books, giving her the name of "The Book Thief."

No comments:

Post a Comment