Thursday, February 20, 2014

Blog Reflections

This trimester, I barely read one book.  I am not much of a reader, and my goal was one, so I did meet my goal.  Goodreads wasn’t much of a help to me, to be honest.  I already knew what books I wanted to read.  I felt that it was just one more thing that I had to update and keep track of.  The recommendations that I was given didn’t seem interesting to me at all.  I liked blogging though.  I liked being able to read about other people’s books and what they’re reading to gain suggestions.  

Finding time to read was a struggle for me.  As I stated earlier, I am not much of a reader.  I have other activities that, in my mind, take priority over reading.  I knew that I had to read, so before bed instead of watching Netflix or some other distraction, I would take that 20 minutes to read.  This got easier for me as the book progressed and got more interesting.  Then, I found myself wanting to read.  I started reading for longer periods of time.  

One strength I had while blogging was finding things to blog about.  I think this is partially because I had such an interesting book.  There was so much going on in it, and I sometimes had a hard time narrowing my posts down to just one topic or event happening in my book.  


I think the quality of my writing has increased.  In my earlier posts, I hadn’t voiced my opinion in much that I was saying.  In my later and most recent posts, I have been telling my thoughts on certain things that have been happening in my reading book.  For example, in my post The Book Thief Storyline So Far and Prediction, I just told the reader of my blog about what was happening.  I said, “The part of the story that I am at now, is when the narrator is explaining what Liesel is doing and the struggles that she is facing at school, home, etc.”  This quote that I pulled from one of my posts tells us what is going on in the story, but it doesn’t go into much depth.  It is just a vague overview of that part of the story.  I didn’t say anything about what Liesel is actually going through or what my thoughts are about this part of the story.  Looking back on this post, I don’t even remember what those things that she was struggling with are, and I won’t be able to remember them unless I go back and reread because I was so vague.  In my later points, I have been getting better at adding more detail on what events happened, and as well as my opinion on what has gone on.   In my post entitled The Best Things About the Book Thief, I voice my opinion on certain topics, provided solid evidence of conflict in the book (through a quote), and gave a summary of what has happened.  

No comments:

Post a Comment